WEAPONS CARRY LICENSE INSTRUCTIONS
DURING COVD-19 PANDEMIC
Weapons Carry License applications will be processed by the Court “by appointment only”.
You must complete the Weapons Carry License Application online.
APPLYING FOR A WEAPONS CARRY LICENSE IS A TWO (2) STEP PROCESS.
You MUST complete both steps of the process.
STEP ONE (1):
Submit an Application: You must complete the Weapons Carry License Application online. After you submit your online application, you will be directed to your “Receipt Confirmation.” After you receive your “Receipt Confirmation,” you MUST return to this Page to schedule your appointment to process your application at the DeKalb County Probate Court.
***You will need to enter the “Order #” from your “Receipt Confirmation,” when scheduling the appointment, so write it down or print out your “Receipt Confirmation” page.***
STEP TWO (2):
Book an Appointment: Return to this Page and go to the self-scheduling calendar. There are different schedules available for four (4) different windows, please check availability at each window using the drop-down boxes. Once you select the date and time for your appointment and provide all the requested information, you will receive an E-mail Confirmation of your appointment date and time at the DeKalb County Probate Court with instructions that you must present to the DeKalb County Police Department for fingerprinting immediately after your appointment at the Probate Court.
The Probate Court is located in downtown Decatur at the Courthouse, 556 North McDonough Street, Room B-190 (Basement Level), Decatur, GA 30030 and the Police Department is located at the Bobby Burgess Building at 3630 Camp Circle, Decatur, GA 30032 (near I-285 and Memorial Drive).
Please be aware that the E-mail Confirmation may go to your SPAM or JUNK folders. You MUST print the E-mail Confirmation and bring a copy with you to the Courthouse or have it visible on a hand-held device.
Please select the date and time, enter the name of the individual applying for the Weapons Carry License and all other requested information, including the email address where your e-mail confirmation will be sent.
NOTE: you will not be allowed to enter the DeKalb Courthouse for a weapons carry license if you do not have written proof of an appointment.
NOTE: you will not be permitted to enter the Courthouse or Probate Court offices if you are not wearing a MASK. If you miss your scheduled appointment at the DeKalb County Probate Court, you will have to contact the Court for further instructions, and you may have to re-submit your application. If you fail to report to the DeKalb County Police Department for fingerprinting immediately after your appointment at the Probate Court, you will have to re-submit your application and pay the application fees again.
Location for Weapons Carry Licenses:
DeKalb County Courthouse, B190 Judicial Tower, (Basement Floor)
Hours of Operation (Excluding Holidays):
By Appointment Only:
Monday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
(We are closed daily from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. for Cleaning and Sanitizing).
***PLEASE REVIEW COVID 19 STATEMENTS AND JUDICIAL EMERGENCIES***
Requirements for Weapons Carry License
- You must apply online and self-schedule an appointment using the online self-calendaring platform (the appointment will include the appointment at the DeKalb County Probate Court to process your application AND instructions that immediately after your appointment at the Probate Court you are required to report to the DeKalb County Police Department for your fingerprinting).
- You must have written proof of an appointment to enter the Probate Court offices.
- You may be required to submit to a screening process at the Courthouse, which may include but not be limited to a temperature check and a series of questions concerning your possible exposure to COVID-19.
- You must wear a mask when you enter the DeKalb County Courthouse and the Probate Court offices.
- You must be domiciled in DeKalb County to obtain a DeKalb County Weapons Carry License.
- You must bring valid identification (Georgia driver’s license or Georgia ID) with your current DeKalb County address. A post office box is not acceptable. If your identification does not show your current DeKalb County address, then you must provide sufficient documentation such as a current utility bill (gas, power, water).
- You must be at least 21 years of age.
*If you are 18-20 years of age, you may apply if you provide proof that you have completed basic training in the armed forces of the United States and you provide proof that you are actively serving in the armed forces of the United States or that you have been honorably discharged from such service.
- You must be photographed by a Probate Court Clerk.
- You must be fingerprinted by the DeKalb County Police Department located at a different location than the Probate Court. Your fingerprint appointment will be immediately after your appointment at the Probate Court.
- You must undergo a criminal background check.
- You must show proof of your lawful presence in the United States if you are not a United States citizen.
Fees for Weapons Carry License
DEKALB COUNTY PROBATE COURT DOES NOT ACCEPT BILLS LARGER THAN A $20.
- Effective January 1, 2019, the total fee for a first-time weapons carry license is $78, which includes the license, fingerprinting and criminal background check. You will pay $73 to the DeKalb County Probate Court by cash, money order, Visa, MasterCard, or Discover. No personal checks are accepted. When you are fingerprinted at the DeKalb County Police Department, the fee will be $5.00 cash. (Effective August 2, 2020, the total fee for a first-time weapons carry license is $80.25, which includes the license, fingerprinting and criminal background check.)
- If you are a retired law enforcement officer, please ask about fees at the time of application.
- All fees are nonrefundable.
- A service fee of 2.75% will be added to all credit, debit, and ACH transactions. The minimum service fee is $2.00, and the service fee will be billed by AMS and will appear on your statement as AMS*SERVICE FEE.
- AFTER your appointment at the Probate Court, you are required to immediately report to the DeKalb County Police Department to be fingerprinted. You must take your application to the DeKalb County Police Department. You will pay $75.25 to the DeKalb County Probate Court by case, money order, Visa, Mastercard, or Discover. No personal checks are accepted. When you are fingerprinted at the DeKalb County Police Department, the fee will be $5.00 cash).You will need to show proper identification. If you are not a United States citizen, you will need to provide additional proof of legal status.
- The DeKalb County Police Department is located in the Bobby Burgess Building at 3630 Camp Circle; Decatur, GA 30032 (near I-285 and Memorial Drive).
Renewal of Weapons Carry License
Please see the Renewals – Weapons Carry License – link on the Court’s website for information about Renewal applications.
Replacement of Weapons Carry License
- If your license is lost, damaged, or stolen, you must report it to the Probate Court within 48 hours of discovery of such loss or damaged license in order to get a replacement license. If your license is damaged, you must bring it with you. If you later find the lost license, you must return it to the Probate Court immediately.
- The total fee for a replacement license is $6.00 cash.
- A weapons carry license is valid for five years unless revoked.
- For additional information on eligibility, refer to O.C.G.A. § 16-11-129.